CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Diamond Jubilee 60th National Exhibition 2021
Otago Art Society, Dunedin Railway Station
23 October – 20 November 2021
This special exhibition will be held in Dunedin to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the first exhibition of New Zealand Studio Potters held at the Otago Museum in November 1957. The 60th contemporary exhibition is complemented by a heritage exhibition with works from this early period and other materials showing the endeavours that led to the formation of New Zealand Society of Potters, which is now known as Ceramics Association of New Zealand (Ceramics NZ). The exhibitions in conjunction with other events are organised by the team of Fusion 2010.
- Premier Award $3000
- Imreys Excellence Award $1000
- Driving Creek Pottery Residency Award $1000 (valued at)
- Pack and Send Merit Award $750
- Nelson Pottery Supplies Materials Award $500 worth of materials
- CCG People’s Choice Award $250 worth of materials
SELECTION OF WORKS
- The 2021 awards will be a two-stage process overseen by the judge.
- Entrants may submit three works, up to three images per work, one image must depict the full work, the others may be details. One of the entries may be a set/pair, with a limit of six pieces.
- Works will be selected by the judge in the first round from submitted digital photos
- Artists chosen from the first selection will be invited to send their work to the Otago Art Society for final selection. The Judge will select the works that will be shown in the exhibition and choose the award winners.
- 20 August 2021, 5pm Digital Entries close, no late entries accepted
- 13 September 2021 Finalists announced
- 24 September 2021 Works arrive at Otago Art Society, 22 Anzac Avenue, Dunedin
- 22 October 2021, 6pm Awards evening, Otago Art Society
- 23 October 2021 Exhibition opens
- 20 November 2021 Exhibition closes
For the purposes of the full colour catalogue, entrants are asked to submit up to three digital high resolution images (300dpi) of each work, photographed on a neutral background. Artist statements for each work (50 words maximum) and an overall Artist Bio (100 words maximum) should be included in your submission. Submit your entry online »
All work must be well protected and packaged securely to ensure safe return if required. Ceramics New Zealand takes no responsibility for inadequately packaged work and a fee may be charged to cover packaging costs for a safe return. We recommend Pack & Send, one of our award sponsors; they can pack your work securely.
- Images of work(s), artist statement and artist biography.
- Please send images in JPG, JPEG or PNG format. Name the file thus: Your name, Work X, First word of title. (jpg, jpeg, png should automatically be added at the end)
- Screenshot of entrance fee paid to: Ceramics NZ, 02-0520-0215611-000
- Installation instructions (if required)
- Complete entry form online »
You must be a full financial member of Ceramics New Zealand to submit your work.
- $30 entrance fee for one work
- $50 entrance fee for two works
- $70 entrance fee for three works
Never been a member of Ceramics New Zealand? Active membership entitles you to enter and become an active member for one year and enjoy the member’s benefits. We offer a special discounted membership fee of $30 to new prospective members. Use the code HAPPY60TH at checkout to apply this discount. Become a member now »
Bank transfer to: Ceramics NZ, 02-0520-0215611-000.
Please reference your name. Note that cheques can no longer be submitted for payment.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- All entrants must be NZ citizens or permanent residents.
- This is an open theme exhibition. All styles of work are acceptable for entry providing the work is predominantly made from ceramic materials or addresses ceramic culture and practice in a substantive manner. This will be determined at the discretion of the judge, whose decision is final.
- Notes for wall work: the Otago Art Society is located in the historic Dunedin Railway Station and therefore wall work cannot be directly attached to walls. Wall work or installations for a wall must be attached to a substrate that can be hung from picture rails, weight restrictions and size also apply. For queries and further information please email the Otago Art Society: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All entries must be original work in concept and design of the entrant and be executed within the last 12 months prior to the entry date. Work must not have been previously exhibited or received an award.
- Joint entries are permitted but all parties must be acknowledged on the entry form and all must agree to the terms and conditions; they will be catalogued accordingly.
- The appropriate fee(s) must be paid to the above listed bank accounts.
- All entry forms are to be accompanied by image uploads not exceeding 10MB per image. Work that does not match the submitted images will be disqualified. All images must state the name of the artist and title.
- Entrants must complete and sign the official entry form. The entry form, images, copy of receipt entry fee, artist statement and artist bio must be uploaded on our website www.ceramicsnz.org/get-involved/opportunities/ by 20 August 2021, 5pm.
- Late entries will not be accepted under any circumstance.
- The judge will be announced at a later date. Please see our website www.ceramicnz.org or follow us on Facebook and Instagram for more updates. The judge’s decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the exhibition, awards or any other decision made by the judge.
- Requested works for final selection need to be delivered, either personally or by courier no later than 4pm, Friday 24 September to the Otago Art Society, 22 Anzac Avenue, Dunedin 9016.
- Packaging must be clearly labelled with the entrant’s name and include a copy of Forms A and B. Freight to the Otago Art Society and transit insurance is the responsibility of the entrant.
- Ceramics NZ accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage that occurs to the work in transit to the gallery or while in the possession of Ceramics NZ during the storage and exhibition periods. Works not selected for the exhibition will be returned by courier at the expense of Ceramics NZ after the final selection.
- Ceramics NZ reserves the right to photograph and reproduce selected work for publications and promotion relating to the exhibition and for archival purposes. The signed entry form is evidence of the entrant’s consent.
- All personal information gathered will be used solely for the purpose of administering the Ceramics NZ 60th National Exhibition.
- All works must be for sale and will be sold at the nominated price. GST not applicable. Ceramics NZ will take a gross commission of 40% on all sales, therefore the nominated price should be fully inclusive of all commission. POA is not accepted.